The Kestrel 3500 Weather Meter has the most functions of any Kestrel Meter in the 3000 series. The Kestrel 3500 measures temperature, wind speeds, barometric phenomena, pressure trends of up to 3 hours, and more. The Kestrel 3500 provides a complete range of weather measurements, but does not log accumulated data like the more high-tech weather meters of the Kestrel 4000 series. For those who need a full reading of only the latest weather information, the 3500 is the ideal Kestrel Meter.
The Kestrel 3500 Weather Meter has all the capabilities of the Kestrel 3000, plus:
- Barometric Pressure
- Barometric Trend
The Barometric Trend feature is not quite the graph of the Kestrel 4000 series, but rather an arrow indicator. The arrow will indicate the trend of the previous 3 hours even if the meter was off. If the batteries are changed, the arrow will show just the current trend, not historical.
For military, or just those using it at night a lot, the Olive Drab NV version of the Kestrel 3500 features a night-vision preserving backlight. Backlight incorporates optical filter to reduce overall brightness and minimize blue and green spectrum light to preserve night vision. (Note: This backlight appears soft greyish pink, not "red", and is still in the visible spectrum, so is not compatible with night-vision equipment.)
The Kestrel 3500's easy to use menu system
scrolls through 9 different environmental measurement conditions. It has
an external temperature sensor with a waterproof casing that allows you
to gauge the temperature of water, snow, and the open air. The
sensitive and user-replaceable impeller technology provides accurate
wind speed info, and a hard slide-on case, lanyard, and battery are
- (1) 3500 Pocket Weather Meter
- (1) Slip-on protective cover
- (1) Neck lanyard
- (1) CR2032 coin cell battery (Average 300 hour life)
- (1) Kestrel Certificate of Conformity
- Minimum wind speed: 0.7 mph (0.6 knots, 1 km/h, 0.3 m/s, or 59 fpm).
- Maximum wind speed: 89 mph (78 knots, 144 km/h, 40 m/s, or 7,877 fpm).
- Wind speed accuracy: ±3%. Update: 1 second.
- Temperature, wind chill, heat stress, and dew point range: -20°F to +158°F (-29°C to +70°C).
- Temperature, wind chill, heat stress, and dew point accuracy: ±2°F (±1°C).
- Temperature resolution: ±0.1°F (±0.1°C).
- Wind chill factor resolution: ±1°C.
- Relative humidity range: 5% to 95%.
- Relative humidity accuracy: ±3% from 5% to 95%.
- Barometric pressure range: 870.0 hPa to 1,080.0 hPa (25.70 inHg to 31.90 inHg).
- Barometric pressure accuracy: ±3hPa.
- Altitude range: -1,500 ft. to 30,000 ft. (-500 m to 9,000 m).
- Altitude accuracy: ±30 meters (at standard atmospheric conditions).
- Operating temperature: 5°F to +122°F (-15°C to +50°C).
- Storage temperature range: -4°F to +176°F (-20°C to +80°C).
- Impeller: 1” diameter, sapphire bearings, lightweight.
- Temperature sensor: hermetically sealed precision thermistor.
- Humidity sensor: solid state silicon capacitive sensor.
- Pressure sensor: monolithic silicon piezoreisitive sensor.
- Display: reflective 3-1/2 digit backlit LCD.
- Sealing: electronics enclosure IP67 water resistant to 3 ft. Floats.
- Battery: user-replaceable CR2032 coin cell battery (included) with a typical life of 400 hours.
- Dimensions: 4.8” x 1.7” x 0.8”.